End of 2014 IT Salary Information
In the first quarter of 2014, Dice (dice.com) released its annual IT salary survey(1).
Several points were of interest:
1. The average IT salaries in the US increased by ~ 3% over the previous year, from $85,619 to $87,811.
2. 2/3 of people answering had a great deal of confidence in the job market and the possibility of finding a new, more remunerative, better position.
3. More people in the early stage of their career were more likely to receive a salary increase, whereas more experienced technical professionals with were more likely to obtain a bonus instead.
4. Overall, the increase in salaries across the board over the last 10 years was ~ 30 %.
5. Silicon Valley continues to be the highest paid metropolitan area for technical talent, with an average annual salary and bonus of $108,603 and $12,458 respectively.
Compare this to New York City and Pittsburgh where the averages were $93,900 and $68,100 respectively.
6. Although we did not list salaries for the following, here are the most highly sought after skills(1):
Cloudera, Hadoop, Mongodb, Mapreduce, R, NOSQL, Hive, Cassandra, Pig, HBase, Azure, Openstack, Cloud, Amazon AWS.
7. We compared the salaries for 7 common IT and 5 healthcare IT (Data for healthcare IT only available on Dice) positions ranging from C level to web developer reported on Dice(1)1(US), Payscale(2) (Canadian), ITCareerfinder(3) (US), and ITWorldCanada(4)(Canadian) and found comparable results. Obviously this will vary from city to city and somewhat from country to country (look up individual results).
IT SALARIES REPORTED AT END OF 2014
|JOB / SOURCE||1||2||3||4|
|C Level IT Mgmt||133K||50-130||127||133-142|
|MIS Mgr Dept. Head||102K||55-104||100||86|
|Web Developer Programmer||78K||40-76||81||68-70|
Paste the following into your browser: