National Biotechnology Week 2013
Sept. 20 to 27 2013 saw the marking of Canada’s 10th annual National Biotechnology Week across the country. Cross country events were hosted by BIOTECanada and its partners – aimed at networking, education, raising awareness of the bio economy in general, and at creating a favourable government framework.
BIOTECanada is in fact a national industry association of nearly 250 representing the health, industrial and agricultural biotechnology sectors, with impact on the manufacturing, automotive, energy, aerospace and forestry industries.
Examples of some of the events illustrating the advances in and the role of Biotechnology
Across Canada included:
• U Waterloo: The Centre for Bioengineering and Biotechnology showcasing student RnD
• McMaster U, Hamilton: President and CEO, Centre for Commercialization of
Regenerative Medicine, re careers in biotech
• BioAlberta in Edmonton: A lunch network event
• Charlottetown: PEI Industry & Research Connector Event
• Regina: Saskatchewan Science Centre Molecular Biology demo weekend
• Toronto: Life Science Ontario LSO September Breakfast Meeting
• Saskatoon: Why Health Innovation Matters Chamber of Commerce Panel Discussion and Canadian Light Source tours
• Winnipeg: Let’s Talk Science Graduate Student demos and Intelligent Hospital Systems demo
• BIOQuebec: Annual General Meeting and Networking Cocktail Reception
• Vancouver: Student network presenting Building BIOTECH 2013
Biotechnology should be supported – it is a major contributor to disease prevention and healthcare, safe and abundant food, bio energy, bio-based materials for modern manufacturing, clean technology to sustain the planet.